THE CEDAR POST
OLDHAM-CUMMINGS POST 6441
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS
Post Office Box 535
Wimberley, Texas 78676
Volume 14, Number 07 July 17, 2014
2014 – 2015 Elected and Appointed Officers
Commander – Don Wheeler; email@example.com; 512 216-4715
Senior Vice Commander – James Clements; firstname.lastname@example.org; 512 574-6744
Junior Vice Commander – Joey Palumbo; Joeyp7990@gmail.com; 512 557-9255
Quartermaster – James Michael Harthcock; email@example.com; 512 847-3999
Chaplain – Rodger Parker; firstname.lastname@example.org; 512 847-7215
Judge Advocate – Larry Merkin; email@example.com; 512 847-2174
Surgeon – Denise Ackerman; firstname.lastname@example.org; 512 667-8753
1 Year Trustee – Jack Tatum; email@example.com; 512 558-1156
2 Year Trustee – Kelly Bateman; firstname.lastname@example.org; 512 847-9805
3 Year Trustee – Chuck Cogswell; email@example.com; 512 847-2139
Adjutant – (vacant)
Service Officer – Charles “Charlie” Johnson; firstname.lastname@example.org; 512-757-3543
Summary of July 10th Regular Meeting of the Post:
- The Ladies Auxiliary provided a tasty dinner featuring cold cut sandwiches.
- On behalf of the Post, the Commander presented a framed 69th Annual VFW Rodeo Poster to Mrs. Bernice Brown.
- A preliminary after action report of the 69th Annual Rodeo – overall the Rodeo was a success, ticket sales were down somewhat, but sponsorship’s were up.
The membership voted to:
- Pay an unpaid invoice from last year’s rodeo in the amount of $1,652 to Mike Rybarski for construction of a practice arena.
- Require one signature (the QM) instead of two on checks less than $5K; checks $5K or larger will require the additional signature of the Post Commander.
- Revise the prize amounts for Voice of Democracy winners to $2K for first place, $1.5K for second place, and $1K for third place.
- Award Bo Davis a new contract to produce the next five annual rodeos (2015 -2019 inclusive)
- Determine fire extinguisher requirements for the Post and purchase new fire extinguishers at a cost not to exceed $1,500.
From the Commander:
Through the efforts of a lot of hard working Post and Auxiliary members, we had a very successful rodeo. I thank each and every one of you for your support. Senator Cornyn served as our Grand Marshal to kick off the July 4th Wimberley Rodeo.
Bo Davis and his crew did a fantastic job of producing the rodeo. The rodeo committee evaluated his performance and decided his interest was the same as ours. The committee voted to grant him a five year contract, and Post members concurred with this decision. He will be producing our rodeo from 2015 though 2019. The rodeo committee, chaired by Jim Clements will begin working on the 2015 rodeo soon.
Again, thanks to all of you who have worked hard for the Post.
Donald C. Wheeler, Jr.
The efforts of our 69th VFW Rodeo Committee produced a record sponsor commitment. The work of rodeo committee, led by Jim Clements, produced $18,000 in donations from 25 different organizations. I believe this is the first time the VFW annual rodeo has sold all sponsorship packages, including security packages and banners before July 1st. Thank you to all the rodeo committee members for a job well done.
The VFW Hall has one rental for the month. The VFW arena had one roping competition held by Chad Springs. Upcoming rentals include three gun shows on August 16-17; September 20-21; and November 29-30.
The VFW Trustees conducted their quarterly audit of the QM books on Tuesday, July 15th. Books were found to be in order and the required report was signed.
Until next month,
Service Officer Report:
Watch for your new VA ID card to be mailed by September. If you do not receive it, go to the VA clinic Austin and apply for one.
Ladies Auxiliary Report:
Thank you, to all who made the July Rodeo and Dance a resounding success. Special Thanks to Jim Clements for handling the sponsorships as many of us were tied up with another project.
The end of June we were contacted by Military Peer Network asking for assistance for a Veteran. Sisters we were able to save this young man’s military clearance, with our donation of $300. Thank you all for your hard work in helping our veterans, you rock!
The Blanket Brigade will be meeting the 3rd Saturday of each month from 9AM till ??? Bring your portable machine and let’s make a Veterans Day Brighter.
Deer Creek Birthday Party will be August 14th at 2:45PM at Deer Creek Nursing and Rehabilitation in Wimberley. Entertainment will be provided by Tori Robinson. Cake, Cookies and punch will be served. Hope to see you there!
2014-2015 Auxiliary Officers
President - Neta Odell-Ross; 512-810-2560; email@example.com
Treasurer - Judy Gulick-Harthcock; 512-847-7100;
Guard – Jacki Kroupa,
Sr. Vice President - Pat Watson,
Conductress - Bailey Anderlitch,
Jr. Vice President - Adrienne Marks,
Patriotic Instructor - Paula Anderlitch,
Chaplain - Lanaie Loveless-Woods,
Ladies Auxiliary President
Calendar of Upcoming Events (60 days)
- July 19th – National VFW Conference in St Louis, MO
- July 27th – Anniversary of Signing of Korean Armistice in 1953
- July 31st – Post Planning Meeting
- August 7th – Dinner and Regular Post and Auxiliary Meetings
- August 17th – District Meeting in New Braunfels, 1000
- August 28th – Post Plannning Meeting
- August 31st – Anniversary of the End of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2010
- September 1st – Labor Day Holiday
- September 2nd – VJ Day, anniversary of Japanese surrender in 1945
- September 4th – Dinner and Regular Post and Auxiliary Meetings / District Inspection
- September 11th – Patriot’s Day
- September 12th – Cowboy Veterans Golf Tournament in Blanco, TX.
- September 19th – POW/MIA Day